It was a few years ago at the Abbey Lounge. We came expecting a Joshe Henry concert, so we were surprised to see two grown men — Joshe and his bassist, Richard — take the stage in amazing DIY robot costumes (like the photo above, except with masks) and go on to perform a 40 minute set consisting of unemotional synthesizer drone music and wordless Sigur Rós-like falsetto vocals. At the end of their set, they began excitedly throwing individually wrapped gifts into the audience, which, when opened, yielded either a stack of coffee filters or slices of Wonder Bread.
These mysterious travelers, Joshe would later explain, were a band called Willoughby. They had come from a planet where time does not exist and explored the universe looking for a planet that would accept their music — they couldn’t find one, so they settled on Earth (Argentina, specifically).
I was an instant convert. Hopefully, after reading the following list — and downloading his album Gimmie Some More Cocaine (below) — you will be too.
Top 10 Joshe Henry Song Titles
10. Feeding You Bugs – from Joshe Henry vs. Crotche Henry (2007)
9. Disrobing Of An Elf – from The Deal Breaker (2007)
8. I’m Filling Your Hole Now – from Prisoner Of Hate (2006)
7. Puke-Cumber – from Non-Dairy Dreamer (2000)
6. You Can’t Make Love To A Redneck Girl – from The Double Eye Patch (2008)
5. Plant Training School – from Wet Sweatshirt Contest (1999)
4. Explore My House On Mushrooms – from Different Dimensions (2007)
3. It Burns When I Pee – from Right Now I Am Totally Fucked (2001)
2. Gimme Some More Cocaine – from Gimme Some More Cocaine (2006)
1. Why Do Billy Joel Keep Be Calling My House? – from Right Now I Am Totally Fucked (2001)
Download: Gimmie Some More Cocaine
Now you make your own list!