It’s officially spring! Hurray! Congratulations to those of us who managed to survive yet another soul-destroyingly cold winter in Boston.
In celebration of the warmer weather, I’ve put together a hip-hop playlist designed to make you feel badass while driving around with your windows down. However, I’m fairly certain it will encourage general badassery no matter your vehicular status.
Driving While Awesome: A Hip-Hop Playlist for The Whitest of Indie Kids
1. N.Y. State of Mind – Nas (Illmatic)
The first track of a seminal hip-hop album.
2. Ms. Fat Booty – Mos Def (Black on Both Sides)
This song causes automatic dance-like symptoms.
3. Flashing Lights – Kanye West (Graduation)
Totally hypnotic and strange. The (scary/weird) video can’t be embedded for whatever reason, but you can see it here.
4. Food, Clothes, Medicine – Aesop Rock (Fast Cars, Danger, Fire & Knives)
Aesop Rock is fucking great, and if you can get past the porn samples in this song I promise you’ll love it.
5. Rock And Roll – Edan (Beauty & the Beat)
Edan is a Berklee alum – way to represent! The only video I could find of this involves skinny Germans dancing around. I think I’m OK with that, though.
6. Kingdom Come – Jay-Z (Kingdom Come)
I can’t get over the Superfreak sample in this one.
7. Got Your Money – ODB (Nigga Please)
8. Shakey Dog – Ghostface Killah (Fishscale)
The totally intense first track off a totally intense album. Highly recommended.
9. Ride Around Shining – Clipse (Hell Hath No Fury)
I don’t know what to say about this song except that I love it.
10. Fu-Gee-La – The Fugees (The Score)
I’m going to wrap it up with another seminal track from a seminal album…this song does not get old.
Anyone have any to add?